Tuesday 26 May 2020

DFI day 4


Today was a challenging day. I felt overwhelmed by the technical information, and at times it moved very quickly. I felt silly to ask questions, as I felt that everyone else looked like they knew what was happening and could follow it confidently. HOWEVER, as the day has progressed, and although my confidence is still shakey, I have completed the following examples of my learning. 

1. Google Sheets

I want to be able to create and format a sheet that will record each child's results for learning in the areas that are important to the school and myself.  I picked up some of the learning as I went along but it was not until I had a chance to create that I could work my way through and try to solidify my new knowledge. 

The student blog information showed that 2017 was the best year of blogging, in that this was the year that the student produced the most posts. In the first year, 2014, the student data showed a part-year, due to the introduction of blogging so it shows the early learning of the student.  Overall the years, the end of the year did not produce as many posts as the beginning and middle.  Was this because of student interest and engagement of topics offered or another reason? 


2. My Maps

A great tool to use in class to support students learning about measurement, exploring local sites of importance, sharing information, favorite countries, etc. 


3. Google Forms 

I can see the potential for these to be used when needing to gather information from individual learners in the class, small groups of students, and from a cross-section of the school. For example when looking at a particular topic or focus (environment) students could create and use forms as a way to gather data from the school community, which would better inform their learning and their place-based responses to issues and solutions. 

Another way could be that a class could complete a form that tells of where their family comes from and other details that could then be imported onto a My Map to visually represent the class or school students who attend from across NZ and the world. 

4 comments:

  1. Wow Trish, I think you should be incredibly proud of your efforts on this blog post. Your spreadsheet activity about blogging shows so many interesting facts and your questions regarding your findings are really thought provoking. I hope you have the confidence to do this activity with your students because I',sure they too would be interested in their results. Forms have so many uses in the classroom and maybe now that you have successfully made one, you will see ways you can use them in your learning. Trish, in your bubble group, can you ask the facilitator to show you how to change the sharing settings for your MyMap so we can see it on your blog. Thanks so much for sharing such an honest blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicola. I have now updated my Map so that it is open to all to see.

      Delete
  2. Kia ora Trish,

    I am really impressed with this reflection. You have done a great job of taking new learning and applying it meaningfully. Blogger, Sheets, Charts, Forms, Slides, My Maps and more! You are becoming an expert. Keep up the great learning and the great reflecting. It is a pleasure to work with you as we continue to learn together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Latham. I am getting a lot out of this course, esepcailly around how I can better cater to the 21st century classroom and ways I can differentiate the learning for my class. As I experiment and try things, I get to make decisions on what works and how it could be improved.

      Delete